Roblox goes a bit beyond being a video game, we often find it referenced as a platform for entertainment and creativity.
It has been online for more than a decade and since October 2019 it has more than 100 million monthly active players, who have registered more than 450 million hours of play. Roblox is possibly the main gateway to video games for girls and boys under the age of 10.
WHAT IS ROBLOX?
It was born as an educational software to simulate the laws of physics and has ended up becoming, inspired by the imaginative use that students made of it, into an open system where millions of virtual worlds can be created and played in an immersive way. You can access Roblox from any device : PC, Mac, iOS, Android … even game consoles like Xbox.
It is a freemium model game , free of charge, although players sometimes have incentives to make in-game purchases for real money.
Children can purchase Robux (in-game currency) with cash which is then spent on equipment and outfits in games.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE TO PLAY ROBLOX?
Roblox has one of the lowest PEGI ratings , PEGI 7 , which allows it to be played by practically all audiences. The minimum age to use the functions of the platform is 13 years old . From this age on, Roblox establishes certain limitations regarding the tools it makes available to its users.
For this, a registration procedure is established on the platform , where players must specify their real date of birth.
HOW DO CHILDREN FIND OUT ABOUT ROBLOX?
One of the main routes of entry for such a young audience is through YouTube , encouraged by the similarity of the video game with cartoons or LEGO toys.
Also on other specific platforms dedicated to gamming such as YouTube Gaming or Twitch , in which Roblox has a verified group of more than 400k followers.
It is very common for thousands of players to connect to see how others play and even interact with them through chat.
WHAT MAKES ROBLOX SO ATTRACTIVE?
Each player who enters Roblox acquires the appearance of a 3D avatar that they have to customize and with which they can participate, playing, in the adventures developed in virtual spaces that others have built .
Far from having a specific mission such as destroying the rival team or winning a competition, Roblox games reflect the type of imaginative play that they often find on the playground or in their school, this is the case of Robloxian High School .
- Recommendations : by having the support of some famous Youtubers, they are encouraging their audience to vote and value virtual worlds created by themselves and in turn recommending new ways of playing in their videos.
- Socialization environment : the game allows you to play with others and, in turn, interact as a social network.
- Within everyone’s reach : in addition to being free and multi-device, age does not pose a barrier to entry, which facilitates entry without major problems for children.
- Metagame: it is a game of games, it has a huge catalog designed by Roblox developers but also by the users themselves. There are hundreds of thousands of games to interact with, making it almost impossible to repeat a game experience.
ROBLOX PARENTAL CONTROL
Roblox, like other video games, presents a central control panel that limits chat functions, adds a parental pin and handles account restrictions (to access only the content selected by Roblox).
It also has a handy feature called ‘ Age Visibility ‘ for determining which child settings are age appropriate.
The first and most important thing is that the minor enter the correct date of birth . This will activate the appropriate secure chat with a higher level of filtering . Also, this means that you will get a separate main login so parents can check their daughter or son’s interactions.
RESTRICTIONS THAT MAY APPLY:
- Direct and small group chat “Chat & Party function”. You can view individual chat histories. (This feature is limited to Friends and Friends of friends)
- Private Message History (Messages)
- Friends and followers management (Friends, blocking and reporting options)
- Purchase and exchange history of virtual items (My transactions, browser only)
- Review of the content uploaded by the creators such as: games, articles, sounds, advertisements … etc. (Create, browser only)
- Recently played games (Home, Keep playing, or My recent)
To be informed about how to correctly configure the parental controls that can be used in the game, you can take a look at the section that Roblox dedicates to parents on its website.
As we have already seen, Roblox is an ideal video game to play with the family .
In addition to being a game that girls, boys and adolescents enjoy and entertain, it is a perfect example of a video game that helps to develop digital parenting in a positive way, allowing parents to tackle the obstacle of screens by generating bonds between generations in rather than barriers to communication.
From RobloxLogin , we have skinned a “Roblox Guide for mothers and fathers” that provides you with the keys to know this platform better .